Memorial Day is just around the corner and it’s time to get your grill ready for summer cooking on the patio. According to the Insurance Information Institute an average of 5,700 grill fires take place on residential property every year, causing an annual average of $37 million in damage, 100 injuries and 10 deaths
The National Fire Protection Association offers general grilling tips to keep your next BBQ safe:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
If you have a gas grill, be sure to check for leaks prior to use. Watch this video showing a simple way to check for leaks.
By following a few simple safety rules for you BBQ you’ll enjoy many nights of safe grilling.
Feature photo by Jing