February is healthy heart month! The heart, it is an amazing machine, it does so much yet so many know so little about their most vital organ. Here are 15 amazing facts about the heart. Keep it healthy!
- Exercise is one of the most beneficial ways you can keep your heart healthy
- Women’s hearts beat faster than men’s, by about 8 beats
- Heart cancer is rare because the heart cells stop dividing early in life
- The heart pumps 1.5 gallons of blood every minute
- Your heart is about as big as your hands clasped together
- Your heart beats about 100,000 times in a day
- Your heart valve is about the size of a half dollar
- The heart is located in the middle of the chest
- A heart weighs about as much as a soda
- In a day the heart creates enough energy to drive a truck 20 miles
- When you are at rest it take 16 seconds for blood to reach your toes and then make it back to your heart
- The heart can beat outside of the body as long as it is supplied with oxygen
- The heart pumps blood to almost all the cells in the body, except the corneas in your eyes
- The heart is the hardest working organ
- There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in your body
Did you know your heart was so important? It is crucial to keep your heart healthy and happy. In return you will find that you are healthy and happy as well.
Trivia- Can you name the four chambers of the heart? Let us know in the comments below.
Feature photo by emdot