Chances are you know somebody with a cold or a flu right now. Find out how you can protect yourself and others with these simple tips below.
Tips on how to stay healthy
- Wash your hands frequently
- Cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing
- Don’t share personal products (lip balm, eating utensils, etc.)
- Try not to touch your face
- Stay home if you’re sick
- Get enough sleep
- Reduce stress
- Avoid people who are sick
- Avoid large crowds of people
- Use tissues and dispose of them properly
- Wipe down commonly used items (door knobs, computer mouse, etc.)
Even if you are feeling a bit run down it is best to keep your distance from loved ones and take time to rest. The flu is contagious up to 1 day before symptoms occur and up to 7 days after becoming sick. If you have a cold you are contagious the first 3 days you have symptoms. Also if you know somebody who is sick make sure to take the necessary precautions such as those listed above so you stay healthy and happy.
Feature photo by UGA College of Ag & Environmental Sciences