As you may know it is that time of year when we start to see football players, basketball players and athlete’s alike wearing pink during their games, and for good cause! October is known to many as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This is an annual campaign to increase awareness about the disease. Prevention starts with awareness, here are 10 facts you need to know.
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women worldwide.
- Even though it is rare, breast cancer can occur in men.
- Exercise at least 150 minutes a week to reduce your risk of breast cancer.
- Healthy lifestyle choices can help reduce the risk of breast cancer and other diseases.
- Minimize alcohol intake to control risk, no more than one alcoholic drink per day.
- Complete a breast self-exam once a month.
- Stop smoking to support overall health.
- Make your mammogram appointment a priority.
- Early detection and treatment is key in fighting breast cancer.
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month aims to encourage women to take steps to early detection. Together, we can bring the numbers down on breast cancer. We’re rallying with the Portland Trail Blazers during Moda Health Months to spread the word.
Join us in keeping breast cancer top of mind. Follow us at #modahealthmonths on Facebook and Twitter.
Feature photo by williami5