If you want to test my self-restraint just put a piece of cake in front of me. I have a huge sweet tooth, and with President Obama’s birthday being yesterday, it got me thinking that there must be healthier options for cakes.
I found a good list of healthy cake recipes and substitution tips at Greatist. I will share one with you because I cannot resist a good German Chocolate cake. Coconut and chocolate are two of my favorites!
Here is the healthy substitute recipe for the frosting:
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (may use lite coconut milk)
- 1 cup soy-milk
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water until smooth
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- In a medium saucepan, mix the soy-milk, coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla together. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Cook for one minute after it boils. Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes (mixture should still be warm) before spreading on cake.
I will be making the Healthier German Chocolate Cake for my family reunion over the weekend and will report back here with my taste test rating.
Try out one of these healthier cake recipes and let us know what you think!