This past weekend we celebrated all the men and women in the military service over the Memorial Day holiday. This time of year is such a great occasion to visit with friends and family and is often known as the unofficial start of summer. With that, many have picnics or summer barbeques to get the summer season started. I want to leave you this week with a great recipe picked by our Registered Dietitian Tracey for your upcoming summer get-togethers. We have also included the nutrition facts below. Try this Iced Green Tea Latte and it will be sure to get you in the mood for summer.
Iced Green Tea Latte*
- 1 cup water
- 4 bags green tea
- 1 cup fruit nectar or fruit juice, such as apricot, mango, guava, or tropical blend
- 1 cup skim milk (or low fat milk or vanilla soy milk)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 4 large strawberries
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat. Put the tea bags in the water and let steep, covered, for 5 minutes. Discard the tea bags.
- In a blender, process the tea and the remaining ingredients except the strawberries until smooth. Pour the mixture into tall glasses.
- Cut a small slit in each of the strawberries. Place a strawberry over the rim of each glass.
*The Iced Green Tea Latte is from the No-Fad Diet book from the American Heart Association.