Do you feel like you have tried every diet out there and failed? Well I am about to change your life, enter intuitive eating. In this new approach, you can eat whatever your body craves (even that cheeseburger and fries!). The catch – you must learn to eat only when you are hungry and stop when you are full. Seems to be that with this diet filled world, many of us have forgotten how to just…eat.
Do not be mistaken, this is not a diet. It is considered a non-diet, weight-neutral approach. The focus is on total health and well-being, rather than weight loss. You might even be amazed that your body actually craves healthy foods once it’s not thought of as a punishment.
If any of this resonates with you, check out the 10 Principles of Intuitive Eating as summarized below:
- Reject the Diet Mentality – Throw out your diet books an magazine articles.
- Honor Your Hunger – When you are hungry, eat.
- Make Peace with Food – Give yourself unconditional permission to eat any food.
- Challenge the Food Police – Throw out terms like good food and bad food.
- Respect Your Fullness – Listen to your body and stop when you are full.
- Discover the Satisfaction Factor – Food is pleasurable! Enjoy it.
- Honor Your Feelings Without Using Food – Food won’t fix any of your feelings.
- Respect Your Body – Love the body that you have right now.
- Exercise-Feel the Difference – Learn how much better your body feels with movement.
- Honor Your Health – Balance your tastebuds while making you feel well. You don’t have to eat perfect to be healthy.
As you can see, a major component of this program is acceptance. Making peace with yourself and your body, learning to not use on food for emotional support, etc. This little graphic says so much.
For more information on intuitive eating check out the book that made it famous, Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole & Elyse Resch.
Feature photo by reynermedia